Military Academy Nominations
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. For more information, please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
Students should confirm they reside in the 24th Congressional District of California before applying. To find out whether you live in the district, please visit find your Representative and enter your zip code. If your zip code overlaps with multiple congressional districts, please search using your home address.
You can download the application here: Fall 2017 (Class 2022) Application
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY OCTOBER 4, 2017. (must be postmarked by this date)
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies:
- U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY
- U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD
- U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Congressman Carbajal may nominate up to 10 individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to our district. In order to receive a nomination, interested participants must complete an application with their respective academy of choice, and complete the U.S. Service Academy Congressional Nomination Application from our office.
A completed application requires the following items:
- Completion of the electronic form below to send us an email of your intent to apply to the Service Academy and completion of the downloadable PDF application
- Personal Information
- Personal Commentary, including a 500-word essay about yourself, your goals, and reasons you would like to attend a Service Academy.
- Two Teacher Recommendations: Use the recommendation forms included in the application. Teachers should complete the forms, seal in envelopes, and return the forms to the student. The forms must arrive with the application package. Separate letters of recommendation are NOT required.
- Interview Request Form
- Official High School Transcripts. The transcripts must arrive with the application in a SEALED envelope. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted.
- Official SAT and/or ACT scores. Applicants may contact College Board at (609) 771-7600 or visit the College Board website to request that scores be sent directly to Congressman Carbajal’s office. For College Board use code number: 4458. For ACT use code number: 7263.
- A recent wallet-sized photograph of the applicant.
For any questions, please contact Greg Haas, District Representative, at Greg.Haas@mail.house.gov or call my office at (805) 546-8348.